Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wilmette


We are going to travel north up Sheridan Road into Wilmette to see J. Marion's houses. This house is actually in Evanston, right on the border of Wilmette. To me, this is the most 'modernist' of Gutnayer's houses, in that it does not have visible ranch qualities, and the volume of the house is a simple rectangular form.

The front door detail.
A couple of his houses have these double height doors made of slotted wood,
which is the same wood used on the interior of our house.



The back corner of the house.

 
I was really pleased when I learned that this was one of Gutnayer's houses.
I have admired it since our first visit to Wilmette.


His signature eave (? please correct me if I have the wrong term)
is lovely, as is his use of color and material. The Gutnayers lived in this house
while they built the house we are renovating.



Classic Gutnayer builder ranch, also on Sheridan,
a few blocks north of the previous house.



Later house, 1970s. This house was on the market
when we bought our house. It has a similar door to the Evanston house.



Central Wilmette

This house has a central atrium I'd like to see sometime. (I have looked at plans for all these houses but not been inside them).


 
This is also in Central Wilmette. A later house, 70s or 80s?



2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your categorizing work. I had been by several of those houses and I remember just wondering - "that looks like Gutnayer". Thanks for the confirmation. look forward to seeing the rest of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last house (with two round "turrets" at the front is actually at 666 4th St. in Wilmette. (One turret holds bathrooms, the other a circular staircase - naturally). It has a full basement, unlike some of his designs. It's south side is right on an alley. The rectangular elements of the design are set at a 45 degree angle to the lot lines.

    ReplyDelete