Monday, January 25, 2010

Lincolnwood

Gutnayer designed at least six houses in Lincolnwood, which is a suburb south of Skokie and east of Evanston.  I found four of them easily because Gutnayer usually built on corner sites. The original drawings listed the two intersecting streets, e voila!. Two of the houses eluded me (picture me in my minivan driving up and down street after street of little brick houses) but I will find them somehow. It is still a pleasure to come across these homes. The eaves are quite a signature and are interpreted differently on many of the houses. I appreciate how the eaves reach out to the street and make the house feel more like a gesture than a weighted down thing. The other beautiful aspect of these ranch homes is the use of color. Gutnayer used color, texture and scale in quite lovely ways.

He did a few of these 'shelter' split levels, where one roof covered the entire home.

This is a fairly conventional ranch layout with the added
garage and then the detailing on the eaves.




 
 
The brick on this facade is quite beautiful, showing a lot of color.
All of these houses seemed to be in good condition which was great to see!


 
 
Lovely eaves and detail again!  I like the monochromatic palette
and the subtle detail. Detail and decoration, good!


No comments:

Post a Comment