Thursday, January 14, 2010

So I have been thinking a lot about the fireplace wall and did a few quick photoshop perspectives to represent some of my thoughts. Apologies for the low quality of the photographs. I used my iPhone.

I love the light that comes in from the bedroom. I want to keep that entering the main space.



what is this mystery translucent material?

I love these resin products from 3form. Expensive, but so cool.
I added some solid wood to the right of the stone to represent the secret stair, which will be a permanent stair up to the roof, rather than the pulldown that is there now.

 
Here the translucent material reveals the stone a bit, for color and texture.
The connection at the top of the stairs is definitely closed.
 
Here the stone is covered by paneling but there is a peekaboo translucent section into the playroom.

 I tried shelves on this wall but it just felt busy and cramped. I think we also might need to consider embracing our inner pink and not covering up the stone.




The brass planter is off and the circular stair no longer blocks the view to the window. It lines right up!!
Aaaaah....



But now the tall central axis seems too tall.
Any reason it needs to be this tall? cut it off? Take it to the ceiling as one of our extra structural supports?



beautiful steel uncovered in the entry.
Can we keep it revealed?


Here's the crazy marble off the dining room table. Again...maybe embracing our inner pink?
I'll try to find some interesting examples of good design using this palette.

2 comments:

  1. Anne, when I saw the house, the long pink fireplace wall was one of my favorite things--it's a quintessential feature of this style of house! I guess I can understand your thinking that it's a lot of pink, bit I vote that you keep it!

    Re the staircase pole, I like the idea of continuing it to the ceiling, bit I also pile the idea of a clear view od the windows--a support pole would give an anchored, stable feel, while cutting it off would make ir feel like the main floor is hovering above street level....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog, guys. The photos recall memories of childhood (& early adulthood) in the Mideast (er, Midwest). Great documentation of the remodelling process. I can see you're going to leave it much better than you found it. Would that we could say that of all transfers of tenancy in this world. . . .

    ReplyDelete