Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Ranch House

On my day of checking 15 coffee table books out of the Wilmette Public Library,  I checked out The Ranch House by Alan Hess. I read a fair amount of it tonight, amazed to see at every turn the houses that populate mile after mile of the Chicagoland suburbs I live in. Gutnayer designed many modern ranch houses in this area and did development projects throughout his career.

The architectural historian who came to look at his work described him as evolving from the avant garde to 'builder vernacular'. After reading this book, I don't see that so much as a derogatory characterization as much as a transformation that affected many architects throughout the country in the 40s and 50s. New technology was employed to make these houses easy to build and affordable, and modules were used to speed construction and preparation of building materials. Hess' book is from 2004, so I am not sure how much the dialogue in architectural history has changed since then, but I have checked out some more recent books to read more about them.

One thing I was looking for in 'The Ranch House' was the ways in which the homes had been remodeled and whether they maintained their historical pedigree, such as it might have been. Many of the ranch houses in this book (mostly examples in California with interior shots) had been remodeled by their owners, with sensitive additions made or simplifications done on the interior.  We are just starting to look at schemes with our architects and I was feeling some remorse about losing some of the interior characteristics of the house. But the more I look at our plans, the more I feel that we will be enhancing the character of the original house. And for many reasons, both budgetary and aesthetic, the outside of the house will not change significantly at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment