Thursday, November 26, 2009

More rocket houses on stilts

Here is a the Villa Dall'Ava by the Office of Metropolitain Architecture: OMA. From the front, lots of connections to our house. No pool in our project though...

The home that gets referenced the most frequently is Le Corbusier's Villa Savoie when people see the house from the outside.


I took out a bunch of books from the library, really anything I could carry out on modernism and ranch houses and found these two projects:

The Cates House, by Julian and Barbara Neski



(from weekend utopia by alastair gordon)

And the Eagle House, 1992, by Dirk Alten



The architectural term used for the 'stilts' (which comes from Gutnayer's loving description of his own house as a rocket ranch on stilts) is pilotis. I was looking for ribbon windows and pilotis in my search for houses with a similar character to ours. Some have spiral stairs in the plan, and most have roof gardens or roof spaces. I like the delicate railing on the Eagle House quite a bit, and it has a delicate metal stair in front that was added after this sequence with the shutters was taken. The Eagle house was built on top of a villa's garage, so it is supposed to feel like it dropped down on an unlikely base. I find it interesting that the houses have such light ground floor volumes: my instinct is to make the base of our house all the way around darker to accent the light color and significant volume of the top.

I am also getting a book of the work of Marcel Breuer. His houses have a lot of the modernist ranch to them and I look forward to seeing more than I can find on the web.

1 comment:

  1. I like that Ranch House book--I've looked at it before. Two of the housese I thought about buying in Austin were ranches and I sometimes wonder what it would have been like to buy one of them.... When we're back home we should go to Builder's Booksource on 4th st. They've got a great selection of books on different architectural styles.

    ReplyDelete