Thursday, November 19, 2009

the 40s

So Gutnayer's materials are being sorted for various archives. I love these photos of him visiting significant buildings of the time. I am a bit embarrassed to note that this is the first time I have paid close attention to the buildings of Frank Lloyd Wright, Philip Johnson and Mies van der Rohe. I have of course looked at their drawings as part of my teaching, but always looked at their work out of context, both historically and physically. Now that we are in the midwest and can look at these projects firsthand, I am learning so much. 'The Goot', as he was affectionately called by his students at UIC, visited the FLW projects in October of 1947. The Johnson project photos are not labeled, so I am not sure that I have the right buildings, but see what you think...

Frank Lloyd Wright and ? name those architects

I think this is a photo of a critique that Gutnayer arranged with Frank Lloyd Wright out at Taliesen. It is mentioned in one of the student newsletters that he kept from his period at UIC.



This photograph is labeled in polish as the Willitt House and Frank Lloyd Wright.
Gutnayer is on the left.

Name that...crypt?
From the leaves on the ground I think this is probably from the same October trip out to visit Taliesen. Anyone know?



labeled: Masselinck chief architect for FLW at Taliesen
Gutnayer in front of Taliesen
Alright, I have to get back to work. Next post will be the Johnson house and a mystery building...perhaps the other structure at the Johnson House? Will need some ID help on that one!




No comments:

Post a Comment