Sunday, February 21, 2010

Keck & Keck

Here in Wilmette there are many traditional houses, many builder ranch houses, and the occasional modern or contemporary house. There are a number of modern houses that is so consistent I started wondering if they were designed by the same firm. While flipping through the local paper, I saw a real estate listing for a Keck house listed essentially as a teardown.  A quick googling of Keck and there is so much interesting history to read about and houses to see. Keck & Keck was a two brother firm. They designed two houses at the Chicago World's Fair. The Crystal House (1934) is considered by some to be a precedent to Mies' famous building systems. The story of the houses built for the Fair ending up in sand dunes in Indiana is quite remarkable. Field trip, anyone?

I have been trying to wait to post about this until I had received Keck & Keck from the library, but I just couldn't. Yesterday we took a trip down to the snowy beach and while the kids were playing on the playground, I noticed this house across the street.



I say notice, but really, I had seen this house many times. I had admired its form and wondered about its colors. Now, having read up a bit on these architects, I am pretty sure this is a Keck house because of the louvers that flank the windows. Keck & Keck were early, perhaps the earliest, designers who used passive solar systems to cool homes. One of the Kecks designed a famous modernist building just two blocks north of our house, called the Miralago, which burned down. These stories about the Miralago are wonderful.

 

I believe that two of Gutnayer's houses are built across the street from Keck houses, one in Wilmette and one up in Winnetka.  I will post the houses and their relationships if I can confirm this.

3 comments:

  1. I believe that there is a stunning classic mid-century Keck & Keck house for sale right now in Evanston, IL... 17 Martha Lane, Evanston, IL 60201.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George Fred Keck and William Keck were brothers, not father and son. George Fred was older and the main architect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://shathabdhitownships.com/project/plots-in-shadnagar/

    ReplyDelete