Wednesday, April 7, 2010

the archive moves to new homes

I've been on a bit of a hiatus with a spring break trip to Berkeley and tax time duties taking away from blog time. Two weeks ago, the papers finally left. As the date drew closer we scanned some pieces, some wonderful curators came to the house to collect materials, and some I delivered out to the local historical societies on a blustery winter day.

The bulk of the collection is going to the Chicago Art Institute Ryerson and Burnham Libraries. Drawings are also now housed at the Evanston History Center, The Highland Park Historical Society, the Wilmette Historical Museum, the Glenview History Center and the Glencoe Historical Society. A truck came from the Art Institute and two guys loaded up the collection to take to their storage facility south of downtown. Can you imagine having that job, gathering the things that eventually make their way into the Art Institute's collection in any area? When I asked if I could take pictures, Billy said most people do and that he was used to it. He also said he was pretty photogenic.

I'm going to indulge in a little before and after:

 the store room, before (with architect's drawings in tubes above the cubbies)
and after (studio, here I come!)

 the architect's studio before and after.
We will be using this as a 'multipurpose room'
which means we really don't want to put any furniture in it.

Here's the big truck.
The drawings looked awfully fragile strapped into the back of that bad boy. All I could think about was driving one of those trucks in college when I worked catering and how it bobbed and weaved as I drove around the Santa Cruz campus. But it sounds like they got there safe and sound!

1 comment:

  1. Please contact me. I knew the Gutnayer's and their beautiful stories.
    Sincerely,
    Georg W. Stahl

    ReplyDelete